By Powder Matt Mosteller
The dirt crew is busy digging, shoveling, hammering, pushing and shaking as they prepare the trails of summer for all the mountain bike riders getting ready for their summer ride.
So what is new this season? A quick review of my notebook work list looks something like this:
- buff out and blowdown removal on all 30+ trails plus signage installation
- finish construction of the new Timber side singletrack trail ‘Neverland’
- construction of the new Timber side alpine cross country bike trail ‘Mammoth’
- revert dual slalom back to singletrack with new skills park features
- complete a new singletrack multi-use trail from Elk Load to Boom Bottom
- construction of new multi-use singletrack trail from Haul Back Bottom through old growth forest to Old Goat in Mount Fernie Provincial Park
- new multi-use paths connecting resort accommodations to Fernie Alpine Resort base area and the new Fernie Nordic Society trails
- major tune on Rumplestumpskin from Timber Chair unload to Surprise Corner (mid elevation), upper Mr Berms and upper Big Rig berm tune-up.
The crew has taken on a big list of projects. But they can handle it. If you ride a downhill mountain bike then make sure you put Fernie Alpine Resort on your hit list for this summer’s mountain bike getaway. If you have ridden here before then you know the magic the dirt crew has created. If not then in addition to all of the new projects listed above, Fernie Alpine Resort is the biggest mountain bike park in the Canadian Rockies and has something that all riding levels will enjoy. If not into downhill mountain biking …don’t fret as their is some of the best cross country mountain bike trails in Canada in Fernie, British Columbia!