Wednesday, March 21
Free Classic Ski Film Night at the Vogue Theatre in Downtown Fernie (Open to public)
Thursday, March 22
Ski industry panel discussions 4-6pm at the Fernie Seniors Centre, 562 Third Ave – open to everyone.
• The history of catskiing in Fernie with Doug Feely, CEO of Island Lake Resort Group and Kim Sedrovic – owner, Fernie Wilderness Adventures
• The history of snow safety in the Southern Canadian Rockies with Dave Aikens snow safety consultant
• The future of print ski media with Iain McMillan of Ski Canada Magazine, Mike Berard of Skiing Magazine and Krista Turcasso of Claris Media.
Friday, March 23
Ski industry panel discussions 4-5pm at the Fernie Seniors Centre, 562 Third Ave – open to everyone.
• History of ski development in BC and the future of mountain living towns – Al Raine, mayor, Sun Peaks Resort Municipality
• Building brands for the future – Sheldon Decosse, Decosse Custom Skis and Mitch Scott, Publisher, Kootenay Mountain Culture magazine
Friday night – street party in downtown Fernie!
Saturday, March 24
• Telemark Ski Events at Fernie Alpine Resort
• Ski Heritage Week Celebrations at Fernie Alpine Resort including a Torchlight Run, Fireworks & Ski Heritage Party in the Griz Bar!
Some special experiences- I want to highlight the first ever Ski and Art Walk in Ski Town in Canada- Vintage Skis are on display that depict the evolution of the history of the Ski. The Ski Base, the local Rossignol dealer for over 40 years, has on display over 15 models from the vintage Strato (Serial # 248) to a Nancy Greene collectible model to 2012’s popular Super 7 model. Edge of the World Snowboard shop has one of North America’s best snowboard collections on display dating back to 1966.
The real treat is meeting all of the skiing legends of our community. Some will be returning to Fernie for this event, like Bill MacDougal, who was instrumental in building a summer lift in Cedar Bowl, back in 1981 just so the race team could train on snow in summer. Jackie Twamley, was a ski racer and then went on to be a Canadian Champion in Golf. Ralph Kuntzman, a former ski racing coach, is now a lawyer in Red Deer. This is just some of the many who have made a difference in the sport of skiing in Fernie, British Columbia.
See you on the slopes, skiing Powder this week!